1. Remove loose oxidation using pure Optimum Power Clean and a brush or mild scuff pad.
2. Rinse the surface thoroughly and dry.
3. Wearing gloves and eye protection, apply GCR to the surface in overlapping circular motions. If the Gelcoat was heavily oxidized, the GCR will soak in. Do not over apply, first coats should be very thin. Use a pearl weave, low nap towel for application.
4. Once dry to the touch (20-30 minutes), apply a second coat. Apply directly onto towel, not on panel. A sprayer can be attached to GCR bottle or product transferred for application. When the applicator begins to drag, add more product.
5. Depending on the level of oxidation, up to 5 coats may be required. Last pass, apply in straight lines.
6. To maintain the restored surface, wash with Optimum No Rinse (ONR) and apply Optimum Car Wax regularly.
7. One bottle of GCR is enough for 4 coats on a 40’ RV.
- Thin coats and multiple coats (up to 5)
- Only use on old/fading gelcoat
- Can be applied in bright sunlight.
- Sticky/spotty if too much applied
- Use DAMP pearl weave towels, low nap, for smoother application.
- 2-3 year durability (wax every 6 months) – Absorbs into the gel coat and restores from the inside out.
- It’s acrylic based.
- To remove streaking, polish with Hyper Polish and orange foam pad (or if necessary, move up to Intensive Polish).
There are four major points for best application for GCR:
1. The condition of the Gelcoat – Will GCR work on it or not?
Gelcoat Restorer is made for heavily oxidized paint. New Gelcoat isn’t porous as old, oxidized Gelcoat so it won’t accept the product, whether it is clear or colored Gelcoat.
2. Removing this oxidized Gelcoat is essential for the pores to accept the coating, exactly like prepping paint for coating, with concentrated Power Clean and white scuff pad.
3. The amount of product also essential, multiple moderate layers are better than one thick coat, both will streak.
After removing the oxidized layer, the Gelcoat will look clean but dull.
After 1-3 layers there may not be much gloss. Layers 4-5, the gloss will improve.
4. What you apply with is as important as the amount, a DAMP pearl weave towel or low nap MF applicator is the best way to apply GCR.